Find Your Preservation Story – Lesson Plans
- Section 1: Preservation Curriculum for Teachers
- Section 2.1: Learning Objectives
- Section 2.2: Lesson Plans
- Section 3: 101 Ideas for Preservation Education
- Section 4.1: Archive Guide
- Section 4.2 – Glossary of Architecture Terms
- Section 4.3: Glossary of Preservation Terms
- Section 4.4: Research Guide
- Section 4.5: Letters to Parents and Admins
- Section 5.1: Print and Online Resources
- Section 5.2: People in Preservation
How Do I Research an Old Building (Word docx format) – Through online research, discussion, and story collecting, this lesson is intended to help students define the relationships between historical patterns, people, and time frames. Students may explore how systems of power, authority, and governance are enacted and recorded in the architecture and maintenance of old buildings.
How Do I Read a Building (Word docx format) – Students will understand the history of buildings and place through literacy skills to support cognitively-complex levels of thinking.
This project was supported in part by the State Historical Society of Iowa, Historical Resource Development Program.