Posted by cc on January 12th, 2011 7:59 pm
Preservation Iowa seeks an Executive Director to guide the further growth and advancement of the organization and its programs. This position is a challenging and rewarding job that provides a broad range of experiences and opportunities for professional development. The Executive Director must be a self-motivated, entrepreneurial leader, ensuring that the organization works to further its mission, is financially sustainable and conducted in an ethical, professional manner.
The Executive Director is the chief spokesperson for Preservation Iowa articulating its mission and priorities, as defined by the Board of Directors, to the public, elected and appointed officials, and other organizations. The Executive Director reports to and communicates regularly with the Board of Directors.
This position will require considerable travel, primarily in state, as well as excellent public relations and communication skills.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
– Implement the programs, policies and procedures approved by the Preservation Iowa Board of Directors.
– Promote Preservation Iowa programs and initiatives with emphasis on the Main Street.
– Development Loan Program and outreach efforts with the Iowa State Historic Preservation Tax Credit Program.
– Assist with implementation of the Main Street Development Loan Program through onsite promotion, training and technical assistance in the six designated pilot districts.
– Work with Board of Directors and State Historic Preservation Office to develop educational outreach, advocacy, and technical assistance for historic preservation projects throughout Iowa, including identification of historic properties, appropriate preservation treatments and financial incentives.
– Provide onsite promotion and education of financial incentives for preservation, including the Iowa State Historic Preservation Tax Credit Program, with emphasis on property and project development.
– Work with the Board of Directors and committees in planning and carrying out fundraising events and campaigns.
– Network with national, state, area agencies and other organizational partners, both existing and new, to further Preservation Iowa mission.
– Assist in future Preservation Iowa staff growth, providing guidance and supervisory support.
– Assist Board of Directors and communications committee with updating and management of organization website, newsletter and printed promotional materials.
– Work with the Board of Directors to create and implement short- and long-term sustainable fundraising plan and budget.
– Write grant proposals and other funding requests; administers awarded grants and funding assistance.
– Guide and assist in development of additional funding mechanisms for preservation activities (i.e. revolving loan fund, small grant program, professional assistance network, etc.).
– Stay in regular contact with Preservation Iowa partners and allies to support fundraising and major donor stewardship and development.
– Assist Board of Directors in state and federal policy advocacy efforts.
– Represent Preservation Iowa at National Preservation Conference and other National Trust for Historic Preservation Statewide Partners meetings.
– Represent Preservation Iowa at the annual meeting of statewide preservation partners in Iowa and maintain good communications with Main Street Iowa, the State Historic Preservation Office, the Iowa Advisors to the National Trust for Historic Preservation, and other preservation partners throughout the state and nation.
– Other duties as assigned.
– College degree preferred and/or five years of experience in one or more of the following areas: historic preservation, economics/finance, historic property development, public relations, volunteer/nonprofit administration.
– Demonstrated skills including: leadership, finance, communication, customer service, customer relations, nonprofit management, strategic and financial planning, grant writing, computer skills (including knowledge of desktop publishing and spreadsheets).
– Basic understanding of Iowa State Historic Tax Credit program preferred.
How to Apply:
– Send resume and cover letter to Preservation Iowa at firstname.lastname@example.org.
– Preservation Iowa will accept resumes and cover letters until 4:30pm on Friday, February 4, 2011
To find out more, go to: email@example.com