Corbett’s Mill Bridge was built in 1871
Posted by CC on August 1st, 2010 10:29 am
The historic Corbett’s Mill Bridge, located three miles northeast of Scotch Grove, was lost Saturday morning, July 24, 2010. Rising waters tore off the wood decking, leaving the bowstring arch bridge susceptible to collapse as the flooding continued.
According to Bowstring Arch Bridges of Iowa, the bridge was manufactured in 1871 by Miller, Jamison and Co., known as the Miller Iron Bridge Company. Originally known as Eby’s Mill Bridge, Corbett’s Mill Bridge carried Jones County Road X73 over the Maquoketa River until 1958 when the road was rerouted. In recent years, Californian Tom Barry owned the bridge and restored it for access to his nearby hunting lodge. It was one of the few privately owned bowstring arch bridges in Iowa and was listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Photograph courtesy the State Historical Society of Iowa. Learn more about bowstring arch bridges at the Iowa Department of Transportation website.
To find out more, go to: www.kcrg.com