Historic Building has served as school, town hall, and community center
Posted by CC on March 16th, 2008 12:09 pm
The Big Creek Schoolhouse, built in 1863 and listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2004, will receive a $83,000 Historic Site Preservation Grant. The Big Creek Historical Society plans to use the money for exterior improvements, including a new roof and removing the building’s metal siding. After the exterior improvements are completed, work will begin inside on the second floor. Although historic uses of the room, including roller skating and basketball games, may not be part of future plans, the space will be available for local groups. The Historic Site Preservation Grant is a matching grant program administered by the State Historical Society of Iowa. The Big Creek Historical Society has already raised $95,000 in matching funds.
To find out more, go to: www.desmoinesregister.com