2019 Preservation at its Best: Special Project
The Woodbury Court House in Sioux City is one of the finest examples of Prairie Architecture in the United States. It is a National Landmark and listed on the National Register. To commemorate the building’s 100th anniversary, the Woodbury County Supervisors appointed a committee to plan a week-long celebration in order to encourage locals and out-of-towners to tour the property. The committee developed an eye-catching website that depicts not only the building’s beauty but also the rich architectural history of Prairie School buildings. The Courthouse Foundation funded the project.
Preservation Iowa’s two most visible programs are Iowa’s Most Endangered and Preservation at Its Best. These two programs work well together because being listed as Most Endangered often times leads to awareness, a preservation effort, and a high-quality, award winning project.
The full list of Preservation Iowa’s 2019 Preservation at its Best award winners includes:
- Wilkins Building (Des Moines)
- Daniel Brothers Super Service Station (Des Moines)
- Harbach Lofts (Des Moines)
- Monroe Place (Cedar Rapids)
- Siouxland Historical Railroad Association (Sioux City)
- Woodbury County Courthouse Website (Sioux City)
- Fort Des Moines Rehabilitation (Des Moines)
- State of Iowa Capitol Dome Restoration (Des Moines)
- Garst Farmhouse (Coon Rapids)
- 2019 Preservationist of the Year: John R. Snapp