2015 Preservation at its Best, Public Structure: Ambrose Hall
Ambrose Hall was originally built in 1885-1887 as the principal building of St. Ambrose Seminary. As St. Ambrose grew, the seminary added multiple additions between 1893 and 1912. The original building—as well as its many additions— where designed in the “Second Empire” Style. Part of the original design included a poly chromatic mansard slate roof, decorative roof cresting and a central clock tower; however, those defining characteristics where lost over time. Additionally, windows and masonry had deteriorated.
The design team used historic photographs and prepared a Historic Structure Report to guide them through a multi-phase restoration. The project work included reconstructing the lost poly chromatic mansard roof, sensitive replacement of damaged windows, brick and stone re-pointing, reconstruction of decorative roof cresting and railings and reconstruction of the central clock tower. The central clock tower now holds the original bell—which is actually a few years older than the building