GAR Post Museum Opens for Memorial Day>/h3>
Posted by CC on May 31st, 2008 3:24 pm
Local preservationists and veterans in Redfield can be proud for the work that went into saving the “Marshall” GAR Post. The run-down, 1880s building was being considered for demolition when its history made people think again. The Grand Army of the Republic as an organization dates to 1866, promoted post-Civil War patriotism, advocated increasing Civil War pensions, and assisted widows and orphans. Local posts formed across the country, with a peak membership of almost 500,000 in 1890. Redfield’s GAR hall was located on the second story of the building for many years, while the first floor served as commercial space for the post office and various businesses. Eventually, the building was converted into apartments and fell into disrepair. The property has a new foundation and roof, and now houses the GAR Post Museum. The museum, operated by the Dallas County Conservation Board, is home to military artifacts including uniforms and the second floor includes original furnishings donated by local residents.
To find out more, go to: www.farmnews-iowa.com