Posted by CC on August 30th, 2009 10:20 am
On August 10, the Buchanan House began its 8.5-mile move to a new home. The 125-year-old mansion was slated to be demolished when Tipton residents Linda and Randy Weaver purchased it. Built by Alexander Buchanan between 1883 and 1885, the brick mansion is “the most prominent farmhouse within 50 miles,” according to IHPA’s Rod Scott, who participated in the move. The relocation of the 300+ ton building was orchestrated by Jeremy Patterson House Moving of Washington, Iowa. The Weavers intend to start a winery and may use the house for related events.
To find out more, go to: www.preservationnation.org