Note: In 2009 and 2010, the Most Endangered Properties were combined into a single 2010 list.
Preservation Iowa is working to provide updates on these endangered properties. Do you have an update to share? Contact us at email@example.com.
The wood-frame Gruwell and Crew building is one of the older storefronts remaining along West Main Street. It was built shortly after the land was deeded from the Friends Church in 1894. It was constructed by two prominent West Branch businessmen, ... Property details
The Len Jus building was built circa 1882 at the north end of main street Mason City. A trolley ran down the center of main street of the bustling business district. The facade features a sheet-metal facade and components manufactured by ... Property details
This building is a major three-story landmark on the Osceola public square. It anchors the northeast corner of the historic downtown area. It was commissioned by banker A.H. Burrows in 1872, and built by O.J. King, who is thought ... Property details
The Union Block was constructed in 1861 by William McCandless. It holds a commanding presence on the north side of the square in historic Mount Pleasant, taking up one quarter of a block. The Union Block was built as a double ... Property details
Fort Madison, 1808-1813, is one of the most significant historic sites in Iowa. It was the first U.S. Military post in the Upper Mississippi, the first U.S. sponsored trading post, and the scene of the only War of 1812 ... Property details
The Faeth Orchards was founded in 1832 by Jacob and Elizabeth Faeth, immigrants from Alsdorf and Speyer in the Rhineland of Germany. The family settled on a large piece of land west of Fort Madison on top of the river bluff. ... Property details
This is the house in which Grant Wood spent his childhood years. His mother bought the house after she became a widow. Wood's life and work are deeply rooted in this neighborhood of Cedar Rapids, home of many of his ... Property details
This brick building replaced an earlier frame church on the same site that had stood here since 1872. The Ely family originally donated the land to Cedar Rapid's African American community to assist in strengthening the group among Cedar Rapids' many ... Property details
In the late 1830s, Cedar Rapids was settled along the Red Cedar River. The early European immigrants harnessed the power of the Red Cedar as early as 1842, leading to industry, business, and residential development on both the east and west ... Property details