Download the Most Endangered Properties 2015 nomination form and entry guidelines:
Deadline: nominations must be postmarked by
December 1, 2014!
Iowa's Most Endangered Properties began in 1995 to show Iowans the special buildings and historic sites that are slowly and gradually slipping away from us. The program provides an excellent resource for media coverage and introduces endangered property owners to preservation advocates and resources that can help preserve their historic property.
Each year a call is placed for nominations through the Preservation Iowa membership, Main Street communities, and historic preservation commissions across the state. A panel of judges considers four criteria in choosing the final list: geographic distribution, historic significance, nature of the threat, and variety of building type.
Note: In 2009 and 2010, the Most Endangered Properties were combined into a single 2010 list.
Preservation Iowa is working to provide updates on these endangered properties. Do you have an update to share? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Nelson Brothers Hardware Store building was built in 1902, originally C.I. Wiley Hardware. From there, the building was a constant mainstay of Orient's commercial district. The building is still known today by the small, rural community as Nelson Brothers ... Property details
The Wapsipinicon Mill Museum is located at 100 1st Street West in the business district of Independence, Buchanan County, Iowa. The massive six-story structure sets on the west bank of the Wapsipinicon River keeping watch over the river and the city. ... Property details
This building was built in the early 1890s, shortly after the prior building burned down in May of 1891. This building was originally part of the "Horse Shoe Bar," which was touted by the Dubuque Brewing and Malting Company, brewers of ... Property details
The Egloff House is associated with two of the more important families in the medical history of Mason City. Dr. William Egloff, the father of William C. Egloff who built the house, was born in Cedar Falls, Iowa in 1863 and ... Property details
Designed in 1907-1910 by Louis Sullivan, Peoples Bank is an intact example of Sullivan's jewel box banks. The two-story bank epitomizes the Prairie focus on horizontal lines while celebrating Sullivan's passion for detail. Fifteen shades of brick were used, reminiscent ... Property details
The Lucas County Sheriff's Residence and Jail (1916) is a good example of this particular building type. Stylistically it exhibits characteristics of early 20th century revival styles, with a crenellated roofline and porch posts (piers) that have a classical revival feel. ... Property details
Built in four phases from 1858 to 1976, the Mitchell County Courthouse has special unique architectural significance. Its use of monumental Greek and Greek Revival Temple style is rare in Iowa public buildings. The building became the permanent courthouse in 1870. The first ... Property details
Despite the age of Valley Junction, West Des Moines has very few historic structures left in its city limits. The 1850s log cabin that sits at 1015 Ashworth Road in West Des Moines is the last of two residential structures still ... Property details
The Caretaker's House at the Winneshiek County Home was built in 1915 as a residence for the superintendent (or steward) of the facility, known in 1905 as the "Winneshiek County Poor Farm and Home for Incurable Insane." When the house was built, ... Property details
The site for the town of Northwood was chosen for its location on the hill overlooking a bend in the Shell Rock River; the Stromstein Building is located on that overlook and is the most distinctive bridge linking the river ... Property details