Do you have additional information about this theater? Please consider submitting it to the State Historic Preservation Office. Find out how on our About page.
Nevada Opera House (85-02005)Lynn St
Nevada IA 50201
History and Architecture
Recreation and culture/theater
Recreation and culture/music facility/opera house
Late victorian: italianate
Evaluation Under National Register Criteria
National Register status
This building does not retain key character-defining features of its property type or convey its significant historic associations. Irreversible, non-historic alterations compromise its eligibility for listing in the National Register.
This one-story (historically two-story) building has five façade bays, defined by projecting brick piers clad with stucco. Each bay features an entrance door and a separate commercial storefront. The city removed the second floor (opera hall) in 1989. The first floor has been heavily modified.
J.A. Fitchpatrick, John Beatty, Dr. A. G. Gorrell, and J.S. Frazier constructed the Opera Hall in 1877, which opened with the production of "Two Orphans". Various commercial ventures occupied the first floor, and the opera hall occupied the second floor. The hall served as a venue for theatrical productions, the American Legion social hall, dances, and dinners. The building began to fall into disrepair in the 1970s and the 1980s. The city gained possession of the property, and removed the second floor in 1989. It is unknown whether or not the hall was used as a movie theater. Attorney and dental offices currently occupy the first floor.